ABOUT THE B TEAM
The B Team is a not-for-profit formed by a group of business leaders working to catalyse a better way of doing business for the wellbeing of people and the planet.
At a time of major global changes; powers shifts, loss of trust in leadership, continued loss of biodiversity and social inequality, the role of The B Team, a group of business and civil society leaders standing side by side to collectively advocate for policy change, drive progress in their own businesses, and invest in new solutions and tools for the business community, the work to drive social and environmental change is more important than ever before.
While The B Team Leaders set the vision and the long-term direction, the small but highly skilled and experienced staff base, and the internal operations to support them, are an integral part of achieving The B Team’s core mission by working with the Leaders on strategies and tactics to deliver.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Executive Director (ED), based in our NYC or London offices, will lead the day-to-day development and management of The B Team in collaboration with a senior management team, in order to deliver on the vision and strategy approved by The B Team Board of Directors. They will manage the organisation, including strategy development and execution, relationship management with key stakeholders, monitoring and reporting and drive forward the overall agenda. The ED will insure the financial health and sustainability of The B Team, overseeing short and long term budgeting and financial planning. They will also be responsible for managing, supporting and developing the core executive staff team.
This role requires an experienced senior-level leader with extensive people and project management experience as well as strong leadership credentials and a proven track record of success. The candidate should have a strong background in dealing with top business leaders, civil society and innovators globally in a high-profile environment, an ability to effectively communicate to a diverse audience, and a proven track record in catalysing large scale initiatives. They will have the ability to proactively develop and grow strategic relationships at the executive corporate level, with civil society, the entrepreneurial community and the philanthropic sector. The successful candidate will also have a deep commitment to building thriving work environments and the ability to work with a highly collaborative and digitally communicative team.
Strategy Development and Initiative Oversight
- With the direction of the Leader Working Groups and the Board, and support of the Senior Management Team, drive agreed development of the overall initiatives.
- Help facilitate dialogue with the most respected leaders in the global business community along with civil society.
- Create a strategic framework which enables B Team Leaders to advance business as a force for good.
- Build and manage relationships with B Team Leaders in order to strengthen engagement and to coordinate activities, whilst enabling strong collaboration across the staff team and our partners.
- Take accountability for The B Team’s internal strategic and business planning and related impact, including strengthening the processes for monitoring and reporting to an impact framework which measures the true value and benefits of The B Team’s activities, whilst ensuring that results are consistently delivered to a high standard.
- Fostering a learning culture amongst the team to strengthen the initiatives.
New Partnerships Opportunities: Identification, Development and Realisation
- Find, nurture, inspire and retain key donors.
- Seek out and drive opportunities to promote The B Team Leaders’ efforts to a wide range of stakeholders (CEOs, Influencers, NGO partners and other members of The B Team Community), with a specific focus on developing new income streams and partnerships to advance priority initiatives.
- Expand the network, including the development of our communities, to create a global movement of engaged CEOs and civil society leaders who share and inspire best practice, identify solutions to problems and take collective action.
- Create dialogue and awareness about The B Team’s work.
Governance / General Operations
- Day to day management of the staff team in both the UK and USA.
- Ensure that the B Team’s operations and activities globally are fully compliant with all relevant local legislation.
- Ensure The B Team is a 100% Human place to work that people love to be a part of, that we are recruiting and retaining the best possible talent within the team.
- Develop / improve relevant mechanisms and structures for the day-to-day running of the operational aspects of The B Team.
- Take accountability for the overall financial performance of The B Team ensuring robust mechanisms for budget and financial planning, monitoring and control are in place and deadlines are met in line with best practice non-profit financial management.
We are looking for a high-level candidate who:
- Has a willingness and ability to perform a ‘servant leadership’ role for The B Team Leaders where the primary focus is on leveraging the collective to work towards a better way of doing business.
- Has work experience that demonstrates a commitment to The B Team’s agenda.
- Has both commercial and not for profit leadership experience as well as experience working directly with CEOs and their executive staff, thought leaders, government, civil society and relevant media.
- Has a proven ability to think strategically, analytically and critically with the agility to translate ideas and insights into action through a coherent and viable program work.
- Has a demonstrated capacity and track record of leading efforts to advance social and environmental change that have delivered impact.
- Has strong convening and facilitation skills, and the ability to listen and learn from diverse perspectives.
- Can display gravitas and command respect within the global business community with the capacity to adapt effectively to both formal and informal business environments.
- Is a good listener with a collaborative leadership style.
- Is highly responsive, results-oriented and proactive with a flexible approach.
- Has strong interpersonal skills, highly persuasive with a strong track record of bringing together and leading teams.
- Has worked in a fast-paced, start-up environment.
If you believe in what we’re doing and you share our values, please apply by sending your CV and a cover letter (in a single PDF document) telling us why you are the best candidate for this role to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line ‘Your Name – Executive Director’.