About The B Team
The B Team is a not-for-profit formed by a group of business leaders working to catalyse a better way of doing business for the wellbeing of people and the planet.
At a time of major global changes; powers shifts, loss of trust in leadership, continued loss of biodiversity and social inequality, the role of The B Team, a group of business and civil society leaders standing side by side to collectively advocate for policy change, drive progress in their own businesses and invest in new solutions and tools for the business community, in driving social and environmental change is more important than ever before.
About the Role
We are looking for an advocacy and human rights specialist with a business background to help develop The B Team’s corporate and human rights network and to co-develop and implement its supply chain/anti-slavery work programme.
Part I: Business and Human Rights Network Manager (60%)
Working with partner organisation BSR, develop and activate a network of individual business leaders and companies to advocate for protection of US support for human rights in public policy, and to maintain and extend the commitment from business to strengthening human rights worldwide.
- Design the work programme: Work with BSR and B Team colleagues to identify critical and timely human rights-related issues in the US and the rest of the world where a louder corporate voice would help to shift the dialogue. Create a timeline and framework for action. Help develop a rapid response mechanism to facilitate quick and coordinated action in response to unanticipated political developments.
- Develop the network: Establish and grow a network of companies ready, willing and able to take collective action on human rights issues
- Deploy and activate: Begin implementation of a rapid response mechanism and network. Develop a shared database of narratives and communications tools Develop a “signposting” system to help companies reach appropriate advice/help on human rights topics that are relevant to business. Represent The B Team at key public events.
Part 2: Programme Manager, supply chain transparency and anti-slavery initiative (40%)
Build a programme of awareness raising, targeted advocacy, outreach and galvanising support for new policy frameworks to leverage the leadership and voice of business to contribute to an enabling environment for the eradication of forced labour, trafficking and worker protection.
We’re looking for someone who has:
- At least 7 years’ experience in communications, advocacy, and/or research, preferably in the area of corporate sustainability and, in particular, human rights
- At least 2 years’ project management experience, ideally for complex and/or multi-year grants
- Demonstrated interest in the role of business in affecting sustainability and human rights
- Strong planning, management, writing and presentation skills
- Ability to work productively in a multi-cultural, multi-geographical environment
- Strong critical thinking skills and a demonstrated ability to analyse policy
It’s a bonus if you have:
- Demonstrated capacity to plan and manage timely and effective advocacy responses
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate workshops and meetings
- Experience of developing and delivering multi-stakeholder programmes
- Demonstrated capacity to work effectively in a team with minimal instruction
- Demonstrated capacity to communicate effectively with local partners/NGOs in ways which ensure appropriate remedial or corrective actions.
If you believe in what we’re doing and you share our values, please apply by sending your CV and a cover letter (in a single PDF document) telling us why you are the best candidate for this role to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line ‘Your Name – Business and Human Rights Network Manager’.
This role is based in our NYC office, and the application deadline is December 15, 2017.