ABOUT THE B TEAM
The B Team is a not-for-profit formed by a group of business leaders working to catalyse a better way of doing business for the wellbeing of people and the planet.
At a time of major global changes; powers shifts, loss of trust in leadership, continued loss of biodiversity and social inequality, the role of The B Team, a group of business and civil society leaders standing side by side to collectively advocate for policy change, drive progress in their own businesses, and invest in new solutions and tools for the business community, the work to drive social and environmental change is more important than ever before.
While The B Team Leaders set the vision and the long-term direction, the small but highly skilled and experienced staff base, and the internal operations to support them, are an integral part of achieving The B Team’s core mission by working with the Leaders on strategies and tactics to deliver.
The Director, Communications plays a critical role at The B Team, an action-oriented organization with communications and advocacy at its core.
You will develop and oversee the execution of strategic communications, advocacy and stakeholder engagement campaigns on behalf of a growing movement of progressive business and civil society leaders who are committed to creating more inclusive economies, fighting climate change, protecting the environment, fighting corruption and safeguarding human rights.
You should have a passion for the environment, global development, human rights and believe business has an important role to play in building a sustainable, inclusive future. You should have a strong knowledge base on business and human rights and sustainability topics with an international focus.
The most critical skill is being an effective communicator who understands how to develop and bring our vision to life through communications strategies which reach well-defined, influential audiences – and then create the appropriate mix of communications tactics and activities to achieve those strategic objectives.
You are accustomed to driving earned media in top-tier outlets through storytelling, both originating new content and finding new and exciting ways to tell the existing B Team narratives.
You should excel at writing jargon-free messaging and content which is accessible and compelling to broad audiences, but still serious and focused enough to be credible and motivating for senior business leaders and policy makers.
You are able to nurture and lead a dynamic Communications team as well as developing and maintaining strong and positive working relationships with colleagues across the organization and in our Leader companies and partners.
- Create high-impact communications strategies and campaigns for the overall organization and oversee the flawless implementation of those strategies
- Working closely with the B Team Initiatives (Net Zero by 2050, Governance & Transparency, 100% Human at Work) to devise communications campaigns to support clear advocacy positions
- Work with the Fundraising/Development team on the creation of funding proposals to ensure optimal approach to proposed communications targets and activities
- Ensure the overall brand and identity of the organisation is strengthened
- Oversee strategy and implementation for The B Team’s key social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn)
- Devising high-impact media relations strategies to deliver on the vision as well as specific strategies for initiative activities
- Utilizing your existing relationships, as well as cultivating new contacts with media outlets and key journalists to amplify messages via media partnerships and earned media coverage
- Manage and deliver the organization’s ‘Rapid Response’ function – developing media strategies, coordinate responses and working across teams/partners
- Responsible for pitching news stories, editorial partnerships, op-eds and blogs as well as overseeing any paid media and communications works
- Work with Communications Manager and Associate, as well as other internal stakeholders, to identify strategic moments and new champions to influence target stakeholders and amplify our work; and to manage communications/editorial calendar
- Manage the production of high-quality, relevant, timely and compelling content that supports the work of The B Team and its core initiatives, including updated messaging, thought-leadership, media pitches and content for the website.
- Write powerfully and persuasively using various styles and effectively addresses different needs and audiences;
- Oversee the design and development of all branded materials (written, audio/visual and digital) to ensure the brand is well represented in a high-quality, consistent manner.
- Working with the Communications Manager, lead the creative process for the redevelopment and redesign of bteam.org, working in partnership with the selected vendor and ensuring all teams are consulted as needed.
- Working with the Communications Associate, support the continued growth and engagement of The B Team’s online influencer audience, via our key social media platforms.
- Editorial oversight of the monthly e-newsletter distributed to The B Team’s 11,000+ member community of subscribers.
Team Leadership & Finances
- Develop and manage the Communications Manager & Communications Associate to ensure they achieve their full potential
- Develop the communication team’s external budget request to reflect key strategic priorities, and manage the budget throughout the year.
- Oversee the selection and management of external vendors (website, media databases, photographers, designers, etc.)
- Represent the organization with its broader community, including the communications working groups for key partners
- Maintain and grow a strong network of relationships with communications teams representing organizations affiliated with The B Team’s Leaders, particularly important to increase our reach and influence at key moments
We are looking for an experienced candidate who:
- Has 10+ years of experience operating at the highest level of communications.
- Experience working with International media organizations with existing relationships with key journalists in The B Team’s target areas and regions.
- Good understanding of regional differences in media on a global scale.
- Is a good listener with a collaborative leadership style.
- Excellent interpersonal, networking and written/verbal communication skills for working with both internal and external partners.
- Is highly responsive, results-oriented and proactive with a flexible approach.
- Strong interpersonal skills, highly persuasive with a strong track record of 6+ years of bringing together and leading dynamic high-achieving teams
- Is patient, level-headed and calm under pressure.
- Is good at providing clear direction and setting a vision for the team – but equally adept at focusing on details to ensure production quality is high.
- Can think on their feet, is comfortable in a start-up environment and is adept at learning new topics on the fly.
If you believe in what we’re doing and you share our values, please apply by sending your CV and a cover letter (in a single PDF document) telling us why you are the best candidate for this role to email@example.com. Please use the subject line ‘Your Name – Director, Communications’. Application deadline Friday December 1st.