Wednesday 9th September 2020
Monday 28th September 2020
Remote with availability to take calls with B Team staff in London and New York. Right to work in the UK or US required.
£40,000-48,000 (or equivalent in USD) per annum based on experience.
The B Team is looking for a Advocacy Strategist to join our team to support our campaigns.
We are background agnostic and would like to hear from applicants of all professional backgrounds with varied skill sets and personal experiences. We believe that diversity is a strength and we are looking forward to meeting with candidates that can bring fresh insight to the team. If you do not meet all of the requirements outlined in the job description below, but still believe you could thrive in the role and support The B Team’s mission, we encourage you to apply.
About The B Team
The B Team is a global collective of business and civil society leaders working to create new norms of corporate leadership today, for a better tomorrow. Together, these leaders are holding themselves and their peers accountable for a new way of doing business—one that measures success not only by financial performance, but also by the health of people and our planet—for the benefit of generations to come.
The B Team has taken steps to improve and strengthen its internal working culture, and is committed to ensuring that all staff are respected and valued, and that our collective work reflects our three core principles of sustainability, equality, and transparency.
From September 2020, The B Team is seeking an Advocacy Strategist to join our campaigns team to help support our campaigns' development and delivery. This position will be initially offered for 12 months, with possibility of extension (but not guaranteed). Our campaigns, which all fall under the umbrella of building a more inclusive economy, aim to drive business and government action across a range of causes, including: just transition and net zero emissions, as well as consumption, protecting nature, human rights, civic rights, responsible tax, gender balance, diversity, refugee inclusion, anti-corruption, digital governance and more. Although this role will initially focus on supporting the just transition and net-zero campaigns, ability and passion to work across all campaigns is desired.
We are looking for a proactive, strategic thinker who is passionate about sustainability and public policy. The role will focus on campaign implementation, support for and engagement with B Team companies and coalition partners, research, writing and communications and ad-hoc team and convening support.
Working across The B Team, responsibilities will include:
- Designing and implementing innovative campaign strategies and approaches for The B Team to drive the greatest impact towards our inclusive economy vision (see our 2025 Strategy).
- Developing and facilitating transformational partnerships and projects with companies, investors and business networks to support company leadership by example, addressing barriers to action and engaging companies to support strategic influencing efforts.
- Developing sound knowledge on multiple business-sustainability areas, including climate, governance and human rights.
- Engaging with government and civil society stakeholders to advance The B Team agenda.
- Managing projects, including budget development and tracking, designing and facilitating publications, workshops, multi-stakeholder working groups, company and civil society consultations and conferences.
- Coordinating with our communications and events teams to produce effective, high-quality and targeted events, publications and communications to support key outcomes.
- Supporting The B Team with strong monitoring, evaluation and learning; communicating this to partners, funders and companies.
- Contributing to fundraising efforts.
The Advocacy Strategist may also be required to take on other duties as need arises to help drive forward our mission and vision.
The ideal candidate will bring:
- 5-8 years experience in work related to sustainable business practice and a network that reflects this experience.
- Proven campaign management and implementation experience.
- Familiarity with NGOs and multistakeholder frameworks.
- Knowledge of the challenges posed by climate change, inequality and poor governance, and the range of contributions/actions business can make to overcome these challenges.
- Demonstrated knowledge of international policy making and proven results advancing policy objectives through advocacy activities.
- Ability to understand and synthesize policy and regulatory frameworks and their impact/materiality to business action on sustainability issues.
- Ability to project manage independently, including overseeing research and translating research into practical application for a business audience.
- Track record of producing high quality publications and events that engage targeted audiences.
- Experience of building relationships and developing high impact partnerships.
- Outstanding communication skills, including public speaking.
- Awareness of the NGO funding landscape and some fundraising experience.
What we offer
£40,000-48,000 (or equivalent in USD) per annum based on experience.
How to apply
Please apply for this role by sending a single PDF or Word document containing the following to Emily Hickson, Head of Advocacy, at email@example.com with the subject: Advocacy Strategist - [NAME].
- Cover letter:
- Please tell us why you want to work for The B Team, what excites you about the job,and what makes you the right person for the role. We are especially interested to hear about your interest and/or experience with sustainability and the private sector.
- The B Team is actively looking to diversify our team and improve our culture of learning and inclusivity. Please tell us how your background and experiences would help advance a more diverse and inclusive culture at The B Team (note that self-identification of demographic information is optional and that this information will not be used to discriminate against candidates in the recruitment process).
- CV: let us know your educational and/or professional background (max 2 pages).
The deadline for applications is Monday 28th September at 17.00 BST.
Our Work Environment: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all B Team staff are working remotely for the foreseeable future, although we do have access to an office for those located in London which can be used following social distance conditions. The manager for this position is located in the UK.
Location: We have offices and staff based primarily in London and New York and would welcome applicants from either of these locations (or anywhere in the US or UK). The right to work either in the US or the UK is required.
Duration: Full time 40 hours per week, for an initial 12-month contract, with potential to extend, but not guaranteed.
Diversity & Inclusion
We are a committed equal opportunity employer and we strive not to discriminate based on ability, age, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, socioeconomic status, political or religious beliefs, national origin, race or ethnicity, skin colour, health status, pregnancy, caring responsibility or any other basis prohibited by law. We are also committed to enhancing the diversity of our team and to ensuring an inclusive working environment for all B Team staff.