The B Team Associate Programme | Advocacy & Climate
The B Team Associate Programme | Advocacy & Climate
Tuesday 30th June 2020
Friday 17th July 2020
London / NYC
The B Team offers Associates the equivalent of an NY Living Wage, at $16.95 per hour, or £25,000 per annum pro-rated in London.
The B Team is looking for an Advocacy & Climate Associate to join our team for 6 months to support the B Team’s work on Advocacy & Climate.
We are background agnostic and would like to hear from applicants of all professional backgrounds with varied skill sets and personal experiences. We believe that diversity is a strength and we are looking forward to meeting with candidates that can bring fresh insight to the team. If you do not meet all of the requirements outlined in the job description below, but still believe you could thrive in the role and support The B Team’s mission, we encourage you to apply.
About The B Team
The B Team is a global collective of business and civil society leaders working to create new norms of corporate leadership today, for a better tomorrow. Together, these leaders are holding themselves and their peers accountable for a new way of doing business—one that measures success not only by financial performance, but also by the health of people and our planet—for the benefit of generations to come. The B Team has taken steps to improve and strengthen its internal working culture, and is committed to ensuring that all staff are respected and valued, and that our collective work reflects our three core principles of sustainability, equality, and transparency.
From August 2020, The B Team is seeking support for our advocacy and climate work to help deliver on specific pieces of work related to economic stimulus and COVID recovery, our Just Transition and Net Zero campaigns as well as our emerging advocacy work across all B Team cause areas (including human rights, civic rights, responsible tax, gender equality, refugee inclusion, anti-corruption, digital governance & more), to provide cross-cause support and project ownership - with opportunities to present to and discuss work with the wider team.
We are looking for a proactive, strategic thinker who is passionate about sustainability and public policy. The role will focus on individual and one-off research projects, support for and engagement with B Team companies and coalition partners, writing and communications, ad-hoc team and convening support, as well as opportunities for leadership on cross-cause engagement.
As an Associate, you will be an integral part of The B Team staff. You will be co-managed by Emily Hickson (Head of Advocacy - UK based) and Callie Strickland (Cause Strategist, Gender Equality - UK based). This role will include but not be limited to desk research, policy analysis, scoping new work areas, developing communications and outreach collateral.
In this role you will work cross-functionally with colleagues on the cause strategy, communications, events, community and development teams, which will support the execution of the advocacy and climate work. You will also work directly with some of The B Team’s core strategic partners. Working with both our business and civil society partners will give unique insight into strategic corporate advocacy.
Roles and responsibilities may include:
- Planning and delivering campaign strategies
- Conducting research on issues, companies, and potential external partners
- Contributing to and scoping new research projects
- Planning and delivery of meetings and convenings in support of the campaign
- Administrative and organisational support for the Climate and Advocacy team
What we offer
The Associate will have the opportunity to:
- Learn about the role of business in driving positive change within their companies and externally through their advocacy efforts for the benefit and wellbeing of people and the planet
- Learn about climate change and a Just Transition to a net-zero emissions economy as campaigns both within and beyond The B Team, as well as strategies to deliver progress against these campaigns and their connections to other issues, such as gender, anti-corruption and human rights.
- Build skills in strategic engagement and advocacy and understand how to drive effective partnerships across business, government and civil society
Profile of the applicant
- You are hard-working, collaborative, and inquisitive and have strong social, communication, and writing skills.
- You have a demonstrable interest and/or experience in relevant areas of work (e.g. research, activism, work experience).
- You have had experience in project management (in any field) and demonstrated administrative and organizational skills.
- You have 1-3 years of work experience in a relevant field
- You are US or UK based
How to apply
Please apply for this role by sending a single PDF or Word document containing the following to Emily Hickson and Callie Strickland at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: Advocacy & Climate Associate Programme - [NAME]
- Cover letter: tell us why you want to work for The B Team, what excites you about the job, and what makes you the right person for the role. The B Team is committed to being a fair, diverse and inclusive organization. In your application, please consider sharing how you would contribute to this goal with reference to your personal or professional background and/or your aspirations for the future (max 1 page).
- CV: let us know your educational and/or professional background (max 2 pages)
The deadline for applications is July 17.
Our Work Environment: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all B Team staff are working remotely for the foreseeable future. We have offices and staff based primarily in London and New York and would welcome applicants from either of these locations (or anywhere in the US or UK).
Job Requirements: This position is a remote based role, and requires the use of a personal computer with internet access. Support can be provided by The B Team as needed, to ensure that remote working conditions are sufficient for successful engagement in the role. The right to work either in the US or the UK is required.
Duration: Full time 40 hours per week, over 6 month period
Remuneration: The B Team offers Associates the equivalent of a NY Living Wage, at $16.95 per hour, or £25,000 per annum pro-rated in London.
Diversity & Inclusion
We are a committed equal opportunity employer and we strive not to discriminate based on ability, age, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, socioeconomic status, political or religious beliefs, national origin, race or ethnicity, skin colour, health status, pregnancy, caring responsibility or any other basis prohibited by law. We are also committed to enhancing the diversity of our team and to ensuring an inclusive working environment for all B Team staff.